Saturday 29 December 2012

The raised beds challenge.

Dear Diary.

My journey to making raised beds for the allotment. First, I needed to get my hands on a load of timber. I would of prefered to use scaffolding boards but trying to get hold of these proved quite tricky. In the end, I made do with bits of long narrow fencing boards. All of the materials again were given to me, so thankfully I didn't have to dig deep into my pockets!

I am happy with the way the beds turned out, although in the future they will need replacing.


In the progress of building my small raised beds. I was good at estimating the width between beds for walking space. A good size for the wheelbarrow too. The bits of carpet helped to kill off the weeds. A good friend of mine drops woodchip off in his truck to cover the pathways on my plot.  In return I give him a few quid for petrol and a couple of cans! 


Quite exciting, watching the plot come together. Different sized beds to break the allotment up into sections for future crops. Just needed to dig away at the weeds.


I am very lucky to have a large plot. Lots of space for beds up and down on both sides.
Luckily the weather was by my side during the days of construction. Of course, the rain came a day or two later, which meant holding off on filling the beds with soil.
 

As you can see in the photo, the rain filled the plot. Still managed to get other things done though, I custom made a piece of old worktop to fit inside my little shed. Put up some hooks so my tools have a home and gave it a good tidy.


A great place to gather my thoughts, chill out and read a book, or even take a nap!
Just need to add a gas stove to make a cuppa tea and life will be good!
 
 My next post, the Chicken House project.
 
Bob.



1 comment:

  1. Done a great job on your plot mate an the shed is tidy to!!

    ReplyDelete